Sunday 19 October 2014

Pedantic, or just logical?

© Google Street View
Before moving to Gloucestershire I often drove past a sign that instructed me to Use both lanes for Truro.  "What?" I would ask myself, "Do they want me to drive down the middle of the carriageway or zig-zag from side to side? What the sign really meant, of course, was Use either lane for Truro.   Call me a pedant if you must, but I found the wording more than a little frustrating.  For the sake of one extra letter, why not get it right?

Then there was my dad's hotel.  In order to comply with the Fire Regulations,* the door to the under-stairs cupboard had a sign proclaiming This door must be kept closed.  And with my logical brain, I used to wonder, "Why have a door there at all? Why not just have a wall?"

I lay the blame for this mode of thinking firmly at the feet of my supervisor, when I was a young and impressionable trainee.  One conversation, I recall, went something like this:
"Don, we've run out of Highly Inflammable notices."
"Mmm.  I suppose they all caught fire."
"May I have an order, please?"
"Certainly.  Jump up in the air and stay there!"

The problem is that, once you start thinking in this highly logical manner, it does rather take a hold. Consequently, when on my regular walks in the forest I come to a gate with the notice Please close the gate, I'm left with a problem.  The gate is already closed, so I can't close it... and how can I get through it?

If you find the sign on the right amusing, then it's clear that the rot has set in and I welcome you to The Society of Logical Thinkers.  I warn you, though, that there is no known cure.

Finally, for members new and old of the aforementioned society, I leave you with this one:

The world comprises 10 sorts of people: 
those who understand binary 
and those who do not.

* Actually, of course, they are Fire Prevention Regulations, but I'll let that one pass.

4 comments:

  1. Highly amusing!

    My Most Irritating And Confusing road sign - often encountered - is the one that says 'Road Ahead Closed'. Do they mean the main road you are travelling on? Or a side road not yet reached? It matters when towing a caravan, and reversing in a dead end might be necessary. Why are they so vague about which road they mean?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Spock would have a field day. By the way what is a field day? A day made of fields?

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My personal favorite sign told everyone about the
    Slow Children Playing

    A friend said she was afraid to come down our side road when she saw the sign
    NO EXIT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our regular winter one is "slow fog", we never get fast fog...

    Signage is an art but sadly there are very few artists.

    ReplyDelete