Tuesday 9 May 2017

The Skirrid


Two weeks ago I blogged about hiking around Blorenge, near Abergavenny.  Whilst there, I cast a longing look at The Skirrid and promised myself that, next time I was in the area, I would climb it. My chance came yesterday, with the forecast of blue skies, bright sunshine and good visibility.

The Skirrid – or more accurately Skirrid Fawr ('Big Skirrid'; Welsh Ysgyryd Fawr) – has had a troubled history. Sgyryd means 'split' and refers to the jagged edge that you can see on the left of my first picture, and more clearly on this view from the slopes of The Blorenge. According to legend, the split occurred at the moment of Jesus' crucifixion, a belief doubtless inspired by Matthew's Gospel:

When Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment... the earth shook and the rocks split.
(Matthew 27.50-51)

Alternatively, it's said that the devil was trying to lure the Archangel Michael into his evil ways. Unsurprisingly he failed and in anger stamped on the mountain, causing a massive landslide. Nasty bit of work, that devil creature! A third possibility is that it's the result of an Ice Age landslip.

Most people climb The Skirrid from the south – quite a gentle ascent once one has clambered through the woodland on the lower slopes. I decided, though, to take a path that skirts the western side of the mountain, then tackle the much steeper (but also much shorter) ascent from the north. From this path there were lovely views of Sugar Loaf Mountain and I also got to walk through that Ice Age split.


.
I won't pretend that my final assault on the summit was effortless. I did have to stop and draw breath a few times (and admire the view) but I'm obviously a lot fitter than I was when I climbed Pen y Fan last year. Shedding those 2½ stone really has made a difference.



Next came the long, gentle trek down the main path and back to the National Trust car park. Incidentally, the hill in the distance, slightly right of centre in this shot, is Ysgyryd Fach (The Litttle Skirrid). Well, where there was a Fawr, there had to be a Fach. The devil is said to have had a hand in that one's formation too, but I'm in no hurry to investigate.

Finally, I was determined to celebrate my conquest with a meal at The Skirrid Mountain Inn (where else?), which is purported to be  the oldest inn in Wales. According to their website, Shakespeare is said to have taken inspiration from the place and Owain Glyndwr may have rallied his men on this very site. Sadly, there's no proof but, compared to some of the other stories I heard on this day, I'd like it to be true.


Can you imagine Owen Glyndwr there now, mustering his troops beside the blazing fire before tucking into breaded mushrooms, a large plate of pork ribs, chips and a bottle of Merlot? Sometimes I feel that I have much in common with rebellious Welshmen.


7 comments:

  1. That was your meal I take it
    I notice you have polished the boots
    Have you had a chance to think about the Gloucester and Warwicks trip as per the Email
    Julliette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O crumbs Julliette, you're right. Those boots are looking much too clean!

      Delete
  2. Taken with the Sony phone?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, all with the Sony except that view of Skirrid from Blorenge, which needed a zoom lens and was taken with my old Fuji. Unfortunately, the lens was dirty - see the blotches in the sky on the left side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's what I'll be doing: Tigerlily for the close-up stuff, if there's no risk of dropping her, but The Panasonic LX100 for distance shots and for anything where a secure grip is essential, or the shot demands special treatment!

    You certainly caught some lovely views. What a fantastic day you must have had!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. on one of my earliest ascents of the Skirrid I drank a bottle of Guinness on the top; I still associate that taste with the place, and the place with the taste... lord, I do love that area! ...The Skirrid Inn features in Raymond Williams' "People of the Black Mountains" by the way ( I do like recommending those books cos they're so good)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's interesting. When I was on Blorenge in April I met a guy who told me all about Raymond Williams' books; now you've mentioned them too. It must be a sign, so I shall spend £9 with Amazon and treat myself.

      Yes, it is a lovely area. I'm spending a few days next week exploring Waterfall Country, then I think the next clear Monday will find me on Black Hill (Cat's Back) which I'm told is similar to Skirrid. Won't be taking a bottle of Guinness, though. At my age it would probably render me legless.

      Delete